Work Policy Reminders
- If you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, you are not required to wear a face covering on our Bellevue and Lozier campuses. However, if you would feel more comfortable wearing a face covering on campus, please continue to do so.
- If you have not been vaccinated, you should continue to wear a face covering to protect yourself, your family and vulnerable members of the Bellevue University community.
- Masks must be worn properly, covering both the mouth and nose.
Unvaccinated employees should work to maintain 6′ of distance between themselves and others in campus and office settings.
Continue to follow Phase 3 Guidelines. Watch covid-19.bellevue.edu for additional or updated guidelines as conditions evolve.
Remote Work Agreements
All employees working remotely for any portion of work hours must have current remote work agreements on file with Human Resources.
Leave policies remain unchanged. Continue to follow usual process for sick/vacation/personal leave time and record time in ADP.
Unpaid leave may be requested by employees in emergency or unique circumstances.
- Employees who do not have accrued sick leave or vacation time and who need time off due to an emergency or unique circumstance may request a leave of absence without pay.
- The employee must complete the appropriate form, get it signed by his/her Supervisor and the Director of Human Resources. The form will include the agreed upon time for the unpaid leave. Vacation and sick leave do not accrue during unpaid leave.
- The employee must understand that unpaid leave does not provide guaranteed job protection. The employee’s position may not necessarily be held open during the unpaid leave and may not be available when the employee returns.
For questions or information about Accrued/Unpaid Leave, FMLA, Disabilty/Medical Accommodations, Short-Term/Long-Term Disability, or other employee benefits, contact email@example.com.
Extending or Modifying COVID-19 Remote Work Agreements
Managers are directed to review existing COVID-19 remote work agreements for appropriate extensions or modifications. Managers should notify each employee who requires an extension or modification to initiate a request in accordance with this process.
The employee will initiate an email to his/her manager in order to request an extension or modification of an existing COVID-19 remote work agreement. The email should include the addendum form or contain the following information:
- Dates of original remote work agreement.
- Start date of extension or adjustment.
- New expiration date of agreement.
- New remote work schedule details.
- Updated remote contact information for employee.
- Employee confirmation of terms of agreement.
- Upon receipt of an email request for an extension or modification of an existing COVID-19 remote work agreement, the manager will work with the employee to come to agreement on work schedule and performance expectations.
- Once the manager approves the request, the manager will forward the email request to Human Resources at COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org. The Manager will clearly indicate approval of the addendum request by writing “APPROVE” in the body of the email.
- The Manager may also include in the body of the email other comments or notes relevant to the employee’s remote work and job performance expectations, as appropriate.
Human Resources Responsibilities
HR is available upon manager request to answer questions and provide guidance on remote work agreements. HR will monitor the designated COVIDemail@example.com mailbox and confirm the addendum has been received.
Medical Accommodation vs. Medical Concern
- Only as documented and approved through Disability Services (DS) or Human Resources (HR) with reasonable accommodation.
- See Face Mask Reasonable Accommodation Request Flowchart (p. 4).
- Concern or objection expressed but not registered and approved through DS or HR.
- Students, staff, or faculty should be advised of accommodation process and referred to DS or HR as appropriate
Students expressing concerns only without DS approval for a medical accommodation.
- May participate in distance or online learning.
- Must comply with the face mask mandate while on campus.
- Staff expressing concerns only without HR approval for a medical accommodation have the options to: Request remote work agreement.
- Use accrued personal days and vacation leave.
- Request an unpaid leave of absence.
- Discuss options with supervisor and HR team
Faculty expressing concerns only without HR approval for a medical accommodation have the options to:
- Request Statement of Work (SOW) adjustment to accommodate remote work.
- Discuss options with Dean
NOTE: Bellevue University is committed to working with students and employees individually if the options above do not address specific needs.
Face Mask Reasonable Accommodation Request
Student > Disability Services > Supplemental Face Mask Accommodation Request Form (in addition to usual documentation)
- Qualifying: Disability & Need for Accommodation
- No Qualifying: Disability or Need for Accommodation >Student must comply with face mask mandate
Reasonable Accommodation Options for students with qualifying disabilities:
- Distance or online learning.
- Adjust schedule to take available distance or online programs.
Employee > Human Resources > Supplemental Face Mask Accommodation Request Form (in addition to usual documentation)
- Qualifying: Disability & Need for Accommodation
- No Qualifying: Disability or Need for Accommodation > Employee must comply with face mask mandate
Reasonable Accommodation Options for employees with qualifying disabilities (requires supervisor and HR approval):
- If position allows, work from home.
- If space allows, isolated alternative work space on campus to limit exposure.
- If position allows, modification of work hours on campus to limit exposure.
- Modification of job duties.